Friday, December 17, 2010

Rio Frio Caves - Belize

During my stay in Belize, one of my visits was to Rio Frio Caves. I had been in Belize for several days, and because we had received a record eleven inches of rain in three days we experienced a lot of muddy, pothole ridden roads.

The humidity was so high that my cameras were growing mold on the inside of the lenses, and I had several rolls of infrared film with me that had been ruined by the extreme humidity.

Traveling as light as possible I packed only a couple changes of clothes , so I didn't wear clean clothing every day. On this particular day I had put on a new change of clothing, vowing to stay clean and dry for at least half a day.

So , off we five Americans and our two Maya guides went for a day trip to Rio Frio Caves located north of San Ignacio. After traveling for about an hour on a crowned clay road, we happened to meet a school bus who decided that they weren't going to give us our half of the road. So ended my dreams of staying dry and clean as our van slid into a 3 foot ditch along side of the road.!

Experience had told me that no one in Belize owned a chain and we would have to wait until enough people came along to push us out.

Sure enough after about half an hour several people gathered and we proceeded to push the van out of the ditch, during the ensuing endeavor, we all became covered with mud and so ended my dream of staying clean for a day.

After stopping for a few photo ops in this beautiful country, we arrived at the Rio Frio Caves. The caves have much spiritual meaning to the local Maya population, I could almost feel the energy emitting from the caves

. It turned out to be well worth our hazardous trip and taught me that sometimes the road in life will be hazardous, but to succeed, we have to remember the final goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment